Saturday, April 17, 2010

Wondering About Evangelism

Evangelism or sharing the gospel in an attempt to save another person's soul.  So what does it mean?

To me, personally, I don't enjoy evangelism.  It makes me uncomfortable because I am shy, quiet, and I hate to feel like I am making someone else uncomfortable or awkward.  I also don't enjoy the feeling of trying to tell someone else how to live and believe.  That just isn't me.  Some people would call me a bad Christian for not wanting to spread the good news.  It isn't that I don't want to spread the good news, but I don't see what good it does to leave impersonal pamphlets everywhere I go and witness to people who'd rather pick their nose than listen to me. 

Scare tactics don't work either.  Some denominations and groups of people are totally into the scare tactic method.  That is a useless method.  My thought on that is... what makes you think you are going to scare them by threatening them with things they don't even believe in?  If they don't yet believe in Heaven, eternal damnation and Jesus Christ, how is it going to scare them?  And then, if you do scare them into something, what kind of faith is built on fear?  Not a sturdy one, that's for certain!

So, here I am, trying to figure out how to witness to people when I don't like approaching people, I am awkward during conversations and I don't want to alienate someone.  My first and biggest thought is that I can witness through action, not words necessarily.  What do I mean?

Show them what good Christ can do for you and in your life.  Don't shove it down their throats.  Don't make it uncomfortable and awkward, just show them.  I am a very service-minded person.  I would rather serve than preach.  It's just how I am.  I hope to be able to show people what Christ has done for me and can do for them.  Show them that I am a good-hearted person, that I can give of myself without thinking of a payment or reward, that I can be their friend without me trying to save their soul right away.  And that if they want to talk about God's love and salvation, they can come to me and I will be there for them.


Another thing I have had on my mind has been quite a conflict.  I have always believed that good people, saved or not, go to heaven.  But lately, my mind had been battling with itself.  Very good and kind people are atheists- the people who have turned against God and shunned Him, saying He does not exist.  Well, I've never really thought that atheists can ever get into heaven.  So now my mind it at battle in trying to determine which I believe in more.  That good, kind people (saved or not) will absolutely go to heaven or that atheists, no matter how good, will go to hell for their blasphemy.  It is a conflict and neither outcome is one I particularly like.  Then it comes back to witnessing and trying to lead them towards God.  It's a lot for me to digest and I can't figure out where I fit into all of this!

Can someone offer me advice?  I feel like I'm drowning under the weight of these questions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elisabeth,

    greetings from England!

    I know what you mean about being shy and not wanting to force your views onto other people.

    I'm an introvert myself, but have gradually practised sharing the gospel with others out in the community. I also find it helps if you can do witnessing in pairs or in a group, perhaps as part of an organised outreach. I find I can say and do things in a group situation which I'd never have the confidence to do on my own.

    I find the more I share the gospel the more I'm able to do it. Practice is important.

    I do most of my (volunteer) work on the streets with the homeless, drug addicts, alcoholics etc. Believe me, they are much more receptive than respectable people. They are so open and willing to listen, especially as we see them each week with food and drinks, so build a relationship with them. This earns the right to share what you believe. Many say "you've shown me more love than my family ever did". Most are damaged people, many due to bad upbringing.

    About good people going to hell, I would suggest the more you read the Bible the more you get to know God's heart and how He feels about sin. Perhaps this article might help:

    http://www.newchristian.org.uk/helldefended.html

    Also scroll down on this page to other items under the heading "Warning- The Reality of Hell".

    See also this site:

    http://www.freecdtracts.com/heavenandhell.htm

    My blog recording my adventures on the streets and elsewhere:

    http://jesushealstoday99.wordpress.com/

    Feel free to come back to me - I'm retired, so have all the time in the world!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete