Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Titus 2 - Education

I came across a website earlier today. It was a website for the 'ministry of encouraging courtship'. I am feeling more and more like courtship might be for me over dating around. So, I have been on the prowl today for resources and came across this specific one. I won't name it so as to try and avoid causing trouble or offending anyone.

But there was a snippet of words that caught my eye and got my brain whirling. It said something along the lines of, "and according to Titus 2, women shouldn't go to college or educate themselves except in household duties."

So, I looked up Titus 2. The only verse concerning women says nothing about college though it says a little about house work. I'm curious how they got the idea that it was stating women sin if they go to college. I have been to college and plan to finish out an associate's degree in business. I would rather have a back up plan in case something tragic were to happen than to be stranded with no way to support myself or even my kids.

Am I a sinner because I have chosen to educate myself past high school? I don't really think so. But read the verses for yourself and form your own thoughts. :-)

3Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. (Titus 2:3-5; NIV)

That is the only verse in Titus 2 concerning women at all. I looked it up in many other translations and the wording doesn't change hardly at all- there is still mention of keeping home and obedience to husbands but nothing about college or higher education.

I would love to know others' opinions on this. It's something perplexing to me how different people can read the same thing but get completely different messages from it. I'd love some different perspectives!

God Bless!
Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment